The RCWL-0516 Microwave Radar Sensor module has been designed as an alternative to the common PIR motion sensors widely used in burglar alarms and security lights. Like the PIR sensor, this sensor also detects only movements within its detection range. But instead of sniffing the blackbody radiation from a moving person, this sensor uses a “microwave Doppler radar” technique to detect moving objects. It has a sensitivity range of ~7 meters. When triggered, its TTL-level output (OUT) pin will switch from LOW (0 V) to HIGH (3.3 V) for a finite time (2 to 3 s) before returning to its idle (LOW) state.
This flexible sensor module can easily be used in conjunction with many microcontrollers and even without a microcontroller at all. It can handle power supply inputs anywhere from 4 to 28 V. The output pin can be utilized for a multitude of tasks, such as for driving an aural/visual indicator or even linking with the I/O of any 3-V microcontroller for further processing. During construction, avoid any metal part in front of the sensor module. Similarly, always keep a minimum of 1 cm clear space on the front and rear sides of the module.
- Microwave radar technology: The module utilizes microwave radar technology to detect movement and objects within its range. This allows for reliable and accurate sensing capabilities.
- Wide detection range: The RCWL-0516 module typically has a detection range of up to several meters, making it suitable for various applications that require a wide coverage area.
- Adjustable sensitivity and delay time: The sensitivity and delay time of the sensor module can be adjusted, allowing for customization based on specific application requirements. This flexibility ensures optimal performance in different environments.
- Non-contact detection: The sensor operates on the principle of reflected microwave signals, enabling non-contact detection of objects or movement. This makes it suitable for applications where physical contact is not desired or feasible.
|3V3||Regulated 3.3V output|
|GND||Ground reference for module|
|OUT||The analog output from the sensor|
|VIN||The voltage input for the module|
|Dimensions||36 x 18 mm|
|Operating Current||2.8mA (typical); 3mA (max)|
|Transmitting Power||20mW (typical); 30mW (max)|
|Output Voltage Driving Capacity||100mA|
|Trigger Way||repeat the trigger|
|Output Control Low Level||0V|
|Output Control High Level||3.3V|
|Operating Temperature||-20~80 Celsius|
|Storage Temperature||-40~100 Celsius|
- Intrusion detection: The RCWL-0516 microwave radar sensor module is commonly used for intrusion detection systems. It emits microwave signals and measures the reflected signals to detect any movement or presence of objects within its range. This makes it suitable for security applications, where it can be utilized to trigger alarms or activate cameras when unauthorized movement is detected.
- Smart lighting systems: The RCWL-0516 sensor module can be integrated into smart lighting systems to provide intelligent control based on occupancy detection. By sensing the presence or absence of individuals within a room or area, the sensor can automatically adjust the lighting levels, saving energy by turning off lights in unoccupied spaces and providing illumination when someone is present.
- Automatic door control: The RCWL-0516 sensor module can be used for automatic door control in various settings. By detecting the movement of individuals approaching the door, the sensor can trigger the opening mechanism, allowing for hands-free and convenient access. This is particularly useful in applications such as supermarkets, hospitals, or office buildings, where touchless entry is desired for hygiene or accessibility reasons.
Download the Datasheet of RCWL 0516 Radar Sensor from the link given below.