HMC5883L is a surface-mount, multi-chip module designed for low-field magnetic sensing with a digital interface for applications such as low-cost compassing and magnetometry. The HMC5883L includes our state-of-the-art, high-resolution HMC118X series magneto-resistive sensors plus an ASIC containing amplification, automatic degaussing strap drivers, offset cancellation, and a 12-bit ADC that enables 1° to 2° compass heading accuracy. The I2C serial bus allows for an easy interface.
HMC5883L utilizes Honeywell’s Anisotropic Magnetoresistive (AMR) technology that provides advantages over other magnetic sensor technologies. These anisotropic, directional sensors feature precision in-axis sensitivity and linearity. These sensors’ solid-state construction with very low cross-axis sensitivity is designed to measure both the direction and the magnitude of Earth’s magnetic fields, from milli-gauss to 8 gausses.
HMC5883L Key Features
- 3-Axis Magnetoresistive Sensors and ASIC in a 3.0×3.0x0.9mm LCC Surface Mount Package
- 12-Bit ADC Coupled with Low Noise AMR Sensors Achieves 2 milli-gauss Field Resolution in ±8 Gauss Fields
- Built-In Self Test
- I2C Digital Interface
- Low Voltage Operations (2.16 to 3.6V) and Low Power Consumption (100 μA)
- Lead-Free Package Construction
- Wide Magnetic Field Range (+/-8 Oe)
- Software and Algorithm Support Available
- Fast 160 Hz Maximum Output Rate
- Enables 1° to 2° Degree Compass Heading Accuracy
- Compatible for Battery Powered Applications
- Set/Reset and Offset Strap Drivers for Degaussing, Self Test, and Offset Compensation
- RoHS Compliance
- Sensors Can Be Used in Strong Magnetic Field Environments with a 1° to 2° Degree Compass Heading Accuracy
- Compassing Heading, Hard Iron, Soft Iron, and Auto Calibration Libraries Available
|Pin Name||Pin No.||Description|
|VCC||1||The Vcc pin powers the module, typically with +5V|
|GND||2||Power Supply Ground|
|SCL||3||Serial Clock Pin. Connect this pin to the SCL pin of the Microcontroller|
|SDA||4||Serial Data Pin. Connect this pin to the SDA pin of the Microcontroller|
|DRDY||5||Data Ready Pin Output. This pin is used to know that when data is ready to be read|
- Operating Voltage: 3V to 6V DC
- I2C interface
- 1-2 degree heading accuracy
- Integrated 12-bit ADC
- 160Hz max data rate
- Range of -8 to +8 Gauss
- Needs no external components
- Easy to use with Microcontrollers or even with normal Digital/Analog IC
- Small, cheap, and easily available
- Auto and personal navigation.
- UAV systems.
- Robotic navigation.
- Location-based services (LBS)
- Pedestrian Navigation equipment
You can download the datasheet for the HMC5883L 3-Axis Magnetometer Module by clicking the link given below: